Sunday, November 6, 2011

Reading Elitism

Here's this week's blog update after the last one made up for the skipped week.

This week's discussion will be on what to read. I hold the very unpopular opinion that we should strive to read, and watch for that matter, only fiction that is quality. I not only never read James Patterson, I actively despise the fact that people do. I've gotten into heated arguments with people on this matter. Some people think the act of reading alone makes them somehow intelligent. This is not so. If you read crap then you might as well stare at a wall. There's no difference. Of course, if you genuinely get something out of what you're reading, even if it is a Patterson book, then you're doing the right thing. But I've yet to meet anyone who genuinely gets anything out of a Patterson other than "It was a fast and easy read" which is a terrible reason to read something.

That's not to say people should only read things that are considered high literature. A lot of what is considered high literature isn't all that good. I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and many scoff at him when it comes to his writing abilities yet the man has made me tear up on many occasions. He's terrified me as well and really gotten into my soul (such as it is). Those are the experiences I love when I read (and when I watch which is why you won't catch me watching CSI or Jennifer Aniston's latest lobotomy inducing romantic comedy) and I think if everyone experienced those the world would be a damn better place. Art makes us care and it should affect us when we read it, not just merely pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment